Lauren Bernett, a softball player for James Madison University, has died, the school announced Tuesday.
No cause of death or additional details were provided.
JMU President Alger's statement:
Our hearts are aching, hearing the news of the loss of one of our student-athletes. Lauren Bernett was a high-achieving member of our softball team and a great ambassador of JMU and our athletics program. She was a key member of our 2021 Women's College World Series team as a freshman catcher last year.
College athletics is great because of the people with whom we get to interact every day. We are a tight family. We are grateful that Lauren has been part of our JMU Athletics community and will always consider her to be a Duke. We will miss her dearly.
Our thoughts are with her family; her coaches, teammates and friends; the rest of our department staff and student-athletes; and the entire JMU community. JMU Nation is a close community, and we grieve together.
JMU Director of Athletics
For additional support please reach out to:
- Counseling Center, 540-568-6552
- Dean of Students Office, 540-568-6468
- Campus Crisis line after hours, 540-568-6552
- Sentara RMH Emergency Department, 540-689-1414
- Self-Help resources available through the University Counseling Center
- TAO mental health resource
- Crisis Text Line – Text HOME to 741741 to reach a crisis counselor
- Counseling Center's Additional 24/7 Emergency Information
Wednesday's home softball doubleheader vs. Longwood has been canceled. Information about other remaining contests on JMU's schedule will be shared once available.