According to the National Parks Service, a 25-year-old woman from Grove City and two other guests were in the park when the woman began to approach a bison, getting within 10 feet of the animal.
Officials say the other two park visitors were within 25 yards of the same bison. Park regulations require more than 25 yards of distance between visitors and bison.
Authorities say as the bison walked near a boardwalk just north of Old Faithful, the female approached the animal.
- A 25-year-old female from Grove City, Ohio, approached a bison to within 10 feet on the morning of May 30, 2022.
- Two other individuals were also within 25 yards of the same bison.
- Park regulations require visitors to remain more than 25 yards (23 m) away from bison.
- As the bison walked near a boardwalk at Black Sand Basin (just north of Old Faithful), the female, on the boardwalk, approached it. Consequently, the bison gored the woman and tossed her 10 feet into the air.
- The woman sustained a puncture wound and other injuries.
- Park emergency medical providers responded to the incident immediately and transported her via ambulance to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center.
- The incident remains under investigation, and there is no additional information to share.